Saturday, October 31, 2009

James Turns Three

On the 19th James had his third birthday. It was our first excuse to have a shindig at our house, so I made the traditional cookies n' cream cupcakes and invited all the Colorado crew over. James is a pro at unwrapping presents and blowing out candles, so much so that we had to light the candles a few times to experience it all over and over again. I racked my brain trying to find presents that could function as "adult lead activities" so James could work on his turn and direction taking skills. He got puzzles, finger paint, the memory game, and some fun pictures to color. I think the biggest hits have been the book Waddle from Grandma Nielsen, and the plastic piggy bank from Grandma Thacker. The book didn't leave his hands for the first few days, and even now I can't put it away just in case he wants to take a peek. One of James's favorite things to do is sorting--especially animals. Elephants and pigs are favorite, elephants are a little more favorite, but if there aren't any elephants, pigs are just fine because they're favorite too. Anyway, he has a special spot where he has collected his piggy bank, one of Marshall's pig rattles, a pig puzzle piece, a pig puppet, my laminated pig that goes with the "Old Macdonald" flannel board, and a book with a pig drawing in it. What can I say, he is a pig connoisseur.

This little boy has won my heart completely. Right now, he is sitting on the back of my chair (I am sitting on the edge). He has put on his crocks… on the wrong feet. He has taken off all of his clothes except his diaper… which needs to be changed, so his cute buns are hanging out. He has the headphones on listening to Pandora. I don’t think I could help being so attached even if he wasn’t so often physically attached to me. Life would be just plain empty without his hugs, hum kisses, excited squeals, and mischievous grin. We love our little Huckleberry.



1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday James! Those sound like some really fun gifts. I love that he is so into pigs.

    ReplyDelete