Thursday, April 16, 2009

Happy Easter Doctor

So the big thing this week was a trip to the hospital. I came home from church on Sunday with some contractions that wouldn’t go away. Everyone was over for Easter dinner so I had plenty of people worrying about me. I called the doctor, and she sent me to the hospital. Mostly, I was just uncomfortable for a few hours while they monitored me. I got some medicine to relax my uterus, and made me feel shaky and my heart race. Mom stayed home with James, bless her heart. They gave me some pills that I took for a few days. They made me retain water, and every time I stood up my legs started to itch, ridiculously. I took it easy for two days with my phone alarm by me to remind me to take my medicine every four hours, even at all hours of the night. Yesterday I went to the doctor and things are looking OK. I was most excited that I don't have to take the pills anymore. I have been trying to take it easy though, I don't want to be visiting a baby in the NICU. I figure two more weeks and we are home free.
When we walked into the hospital we had to walk through the ER. Kendal and I learned quickly not to look in any of the rooms. They left the doors open, and there were patients being treated. I saw a lot of blood once, and looked away before I saw anything else. When we got to Labor and Delivery there was a lady screaming from one of the rooms. We learned later she had just come in and was going too fast to get the epidural, poor thing. She had the baby while we were there. By the time we got to our room Kendal was a little traumatized. It all kind of felt like a practice run. When we were walking out I told Kendal the next time I leave here I am not going to be pregnant anymore OK. He said that was fine, but we were both relieved the baby didn’t decide to come quite yet. He needs a few more weeks to bake.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I can't believe you went into the hospital Sunday. You have to promise to call me and tell me when you do go into labor so I can be a better friend and VT and bring something over for dinner when you get back. Let me know if you want me to come get James to give you a break for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary!!!!! I am glad that everything is okay! That baby needs a few more weeks to be fully cooked.

    What are you naming him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The retched screaming, wailing and cursing of that woman would have traumatized anyone.

    For those reading this and are worried - it's ok. Shannon is off the drugs to make you stop contracting and can go back on them if she does start to have contractions.

    Name will be released day of delivery.

    ReplyDelete