Saturday, May 9, 2009

Billups and Game 3.

Something happened today in the Nuggets vs. Mavs game 3 that I found amazing.  Something I would be amiss to not share with all of you.  

It happened with 35 seconds left in the game right after Jason Terry hit a 3 for Dallas to go up by 4.  The home crowd and the Dallas players thought the game was over and were subsequently going nuts.  As a Nuggets fan and follower, it didn't look good, it did look over.  Then it happened, the camera's made their way to Chauncy Billups face and his face brought a sincere sense of confidence.  It said "You guys think it's over, but we are going to rip your hearts out."  And he/they did.  I'm positive other greats have showed this look over the years, but this one was captured just perfectly.  I've come to the conclusion that I'm simply not a good enough writer to properly capture just exactly what I saw in that look.

Carmelo makes a driving layup that took all of about 3 seconds and then Dirk misses his 3rd shot in the final 2 minutes (the epitome of not clutch) and then Carmelo makes a 3 after the crazy no call fiasco.  Cue the hearts ripping.

I always thought Chauncy was overrated after the Spurs shut him down in the 05 series, but what he has gotten these Nuggets to do is nothing short of amazing.  Between his play and his influence he's arguably the most valuable player in the league right now.

3 comments:

  1. So, can we get any info on your family? I feel like I'm reading the sports page! I guess we know what occupies your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't please em all.

    Shannon is too grumpy and pregnant to contribute right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was sitting in a waiting room reading SI and they had a lengthy article on Chauncy. You pretty much summed up what they said. Best thing to happen to Denver in a long time.

    ReplyDelete